Sunday, 26 June 2016

A reaction from an English lady post -Brexit

The following is a comment from Jenni Clutten that was posted on Facebook. It moved me and I asked Jenni for permission to post it on my blog. Jenni is a mother of two adorable children and is a politics graduate, ex local councillor and belongs to Generation Y.

I am struggling, moving from sadness to anger like grief re-lived every time I read the news. These economic problems caused by the leave vote can be solved, but I don't want to solve them because I never would have created them. They are unnecessary obstacles brought about because people have identified Europe as the problem to many problems that are unrelated. Lack of economic equality, underfunded services and people pointing at the 'other' as a quick and easy way to duck out of their own policy decisions.
I have studied politics for many years, immersed myself in it to try to understand and solve the issues of inequality, and yet find myself in a situation where those who have less of a grasp on the complexities of these problems than many of us have, determined a decision that has made me feel like I do not belong in the country I was born. I am so sad, for all of us that voted remain, but also for the truth that is about to unfold for those who voted leave. I am trying to understand if this sickness is how those who voted leave felt all these years, and now we get to live it in slow motion for years on end.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig