Tuesday, 8 April 2014

Meet a Mum Who Contracted Mesothelioma (Asbestos Exposure)

Heather Von St James is a mother living in America who survived exposure to asbestos to tell the tale. She is now busily raising awareness of the deadly illness and wants people to look out for the danger signs of the symptoms. Mesothelioma is the name of the cancer that develops as a result of inhaling asbestos. Most commonly, sufferers of mesothelioma would have been employees working in industrial situations where asbestos was used. However, there is a secondary fall out too. Women who washed the clothes of their husbands who had been working in environments where there was asbestos have contracted Mesothelioma too. 

Heather's story is below: 
'I’m reaching out to you today in hopes that you will help me with a cause that is very near and dear to my heart. At age 36, I was diagnosed with mesothelioma just 3 ½ months after my first and only child, Lily, was born. I was given just 15 months to live unless I underwent a drastic surgery to remove my left lung. Miraculously, I beat the odds and I’m still here eight years later. I was exposed to asbestos through my father's work jacket when I was just a little girl; my diagnosis came about 30 years later. Once diagnosed, most patients die within 2 years. I am one of few survivors who openly share their story and work to spread awareness regarding the dangers of asbestos.'

Asbestos was banned in the UK on August 24 1999. However, the United States is one of the very few major industrialized nations that has not banned asbestos entirely in all of its forms. It continues to be used in gaskets, friction products, roofing materials, fireproofing materials - in fact, into hundreds of consumer products that are used every day. This is why Heather is desperately trying to do something about it. She needs our support so please visit her website.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig